"Allegations of Police Harassment and Abuse in a Jharkhand Village."

The police officers, after smoking cigarettes, burned my eight-year-old son's hand and asked, "Tell us, where is your father?" My name is Samida Khatoon. I am 35 years old. My husband's name is Mohammad Naseem. I have two children, a son, and a daughter. I used to make a living by picking abarakh (a type of fruit).

I live in the village of Samsihariya, post - Dhoḍākoḷā, police station - Domchanch, district - Koderma, Jharkhand. I didn't know that due to the closure of abarakh picking, we would not even have enough food to eat. We had no other source of income, and we used to feed our family with the earnings from abarakh picking. But the police intervention with abarakh has left us and my child hungry.

Whenever someone got some work, the little bit of grain we received provided some relief. Otherwise, we had to go back to our parents' home to get food. My husband had no job, and because of unemployment, our children's education suffered. We were living through all these difficulties.

Then my husband got into an altercation with someone, and that person filed a case against him. I was unaware of all these matters. On the night of February 11th, the Domchanch police vehicle came to my house. The officer in charge of the police station broke down my door instead of knocking. At that time, my children and I were at home. I was scared when the door was broken down. Then, the police officer Abdullah Khan grabbed us from behind.

I tried to free myself but couldn't. The station in-charge, while manhandling me, started pressing my chest. I said, "Sir, please let me go, what are you doing?" He asked, "Where is your husband?" I replied, "Sir, he is not at home." Then he demanded his mobile number. I kept asking what was happening, but he didn't say anything. Unable to find my husband, they started assaulting us for no reason. They took my daughter in their arms and began to take her out of the house. Seeing my daughter being taken away, I panicked and tried to rescue her, but Abdullah Khan kicked me hard in my abdomen, and I fell on the ground. They also harassed my daughter.

My younger son, who was only 8 years old, was made to smoke a cigarette by the police officers, and they asked him, "Tell us, where is your father?" Due to the burning sensation from the cigarette, he started crying, but those heartless people did not understand my child's pain. I was unable to comprehend the situation at that time.

When I tried to run to save my son, the station in-charge ripped my clothes, and I was left partially naked. I felt helpless, and I couldn't do anything. The police officers continued their actions without any restraint.

We couldn't understand why the police were searching for my husband. In this way, the police created havoc in my house from midnight to 2 o'clock in the morning. I was completely traumatized at that time. No one from the nearby area dared to come and help us because of their fear of the police. The police officers did as they pleased.

In the morning, we informed the villagers about everything that had happened. After that, the village head took us to the Koderma Sadar Hospital for treatment. I was hospitalized for four to five days. After being discharged, as we didn't receive any support, I went to my parents' home. There, I underwent treatment for two months, after which I finally recovered.

Since this incident, I have been haunted by fear all the time. When my children ask if the police will come to our house again, it pains me greatly. I have trouble sleeping at night, and I constantly feel a heavy burden on my body.

I want strict legal action to be taken against the police officers who unjustly subjected us to physical, mental, and economic harassment. I hope to receive justice and security.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Empowering Torture Survivors: Janmitra Nyas' Trailblazing Partnership for Restoration of Autonomy and Dignity"

"Innocence Imprisoned: A Saga of Unjust Detention, Torture, and a Wife's Fight for Justice"